The feeling of nostalgia seems to be going around a bit at the moment, so I thought I’d take you guys back to the 80s for a while. Those of us who grew up in the 1980s experienced a lot of bad hair, mostly, but there were a lot of things that we look back on and think “OMG I can’t believe I did that/wore that/said that/felt that/ate that”. Here’s a little more 80s nostalgia for you to dream back on.
- Women’s 80s fashion – Most 80s fashion (wiki) can be described in a word, and that word is usually “aargh”, but if you had to add two words to that, odds are they’d be “my eyes!” For some strange reason, a lot of weird 80s fashion items are making a comeback now as well. We fully acknowledge that the 80s was pretty trippy fashion-wise, so why are we deliberately bringing it back? Things like big hair (saw this the other day at the mall!), jelly shoes, day-glo bangles, and (cringe!) shoulder pads (more wiki links). Why, people, why?
- Men’s 80s fashion – I don’t think much more needs be said about men’s fasion in the 80s than “it was not much better than women’s fashion”. Fair enough, some of the looks have survived to today, but thankfully, lots of it was thrown by the 90s wayside. So what did we have? Hammerpants (grief, another fugly that’s making a comeback), the Miami Vice look, Jheri curls, too-tight jeans, hi-top sneakers, skinny ties, and, well….paisley. Seriously, who is longing for skinny ties to make a comeback?
- 80s music – Ah, some of the greatest music we have today comes from the 80s, and it includes many one-hit wonders as well as artists who are still performing to this day. The 80s gave us A-ha, Michael Jackson, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Boy George, Pet Shop Boys, Madness, Miami Sound Machine, New Kids on the Block, Madonna, Van Halen, Bon Jovi (see how fast you can get “Living on a Prayer” out of your head!) and a plethora of memorable others (and if you want more lists of 80s music, try this). One hit-wonders include the (in)famous Dexy’s Midnight Runners with “Come on Eileen” (Youtube), Lipps Inc with “Funky Town” (YouTube), Soft Cell with “Tainted Love” (Youtube), and Limahl with “Never Ending Story” (Yep, Youtube again), which seagues us nicely into the next category…
- 80s movies – Possibly some of the worst movies ever to exist emerged from the 80s (Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead, anyone?) but the 80s also gave birth to some of the most memorable movies we have. These include such masterpieces as Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Beverly Hills Cop, Police Academy, Ghostbusters, The Evil Dead, Rambo: First Blood, Naked Gun, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and of course, The Goonies. So who has some favorites here?
- 80s TV – I spent a lot of time watching catoons in my 80s youth, as I’m sure most of you did. 80s TV, as awesome as it seemed back then, just doesn’t compare to the versions we have in our memories. I made the mistake of watching a few A-Team, He-Man, and Airwolf reruns. Trust me, don’t try it. Mind you, there were some shows from the 80s that still translate well today, such as Robotech and the Gummi Bears, but the majority don’t. Some shows, oddly enough, are still running today. Can you believe that the Simpsons originated in the 80s? So what else did the 80s show on our TVs? Shows such as The Cosby Show, Cheers, The Golden Girls, Quantum Leap, Star Trek: TNG, M*A*S*H, Saved by the Bell, Dallas, Dynasty, V, and Hill Street Blues. Mostly, it seems, the stuff is unwatchable today. Anyone watched any 80s TV lately?
- 80s toys – Most toys in the 80s were fads, but they included the Rubik’s Cube, Etch-a-Sketch, Sticklebricks, and of course, the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). For an interesting look at 80s fads, check 11 80s Fads I Totally Bought Into, an article that lists a number of wonderful 80s phenomena that I’m sure we all bought into: Garbage Pail Kids (Loved these!), WWF Wrestling, and Hypercolor shirts (all three wiki links).
That’s all I’m going to do for now, as much as I can carry on. Your turn! Who has 80s memories they want to share with us?